6.22.2005

spoiled

today i went to my yoga class after taking monday's class off (i seemed to have injured myself in last friday's class & my neck was not going to allow me to bend in any manner other than 'robot'). when my instructor got there, i told her about my neck tenderness & she figured out which muscle i angered - then she showed me a series of stretches i could do to loosen my neck and make my upper back stronger (rwoar!).

by the time we finished, we were still the only two in the room & it was about 5 after the time class was to start. yey. i got a private class. it was so cool. we worked A LOT on downdog (my right side often bails out of the position and the arm doesn't straighten - it kind of bowes out). and i think i actually made some progress.

for me, yoga is largely a matter of mental power. if i stop thinking about what i'm doing - i cheat - but if i keep my mind engaged and think about what and why i'm doing - it's much better. also - i find yoga excellent to help break bad mental habits. 'i can't do that.' 'there's no way my shoulder will stretch that way.' 'is she kidding me? i'll fall if i do that!' i'm not saying that i need to be a mindless little self-cheerleader - but if i tell myself i can't do it before i even start - well, what do you think the result will be...

the downside of my private class today is that i am feeling it. holy, holy, am i feeling it! she warned me that the deep work we did might make me sore & i think she's right! and the best news of all - my tender neck only had one very bad moment... and i think it will feel much better tomorrow. ooh - one more thing - i also found out that i hyper-extend my knees. after 3.5 years of yoga, no instructor ever noticed or corrected me.... yey for private classes!

[music | gwen stefani, "what u waiting for?"]

No comments: